Yes, a Battery Management System (BMS) can be connected in series with multiple batteries, to help monitor and balance the voltage, current, and temperature of each battery in the series. This is especially important for lithium-ion batteries, which can be sensitive to overcharging, undercharging, or over-discharging.
When connecting a BMS in series, each battery in the series is typically connected to a dedicated BMS cell board, which monitors the voltage and temperature of the battery and communicates with the main BMS controller. The main BMS controller then uses this information to balance the charging and discharging of each battery in the series, to ensure that they are all operating at similar voltages and capacities.
Here are the general steps to follow when connecting a BMS in series:
- Choose a BMS that is compatible with your battery type, voltage, and capacity ratings, and that has enough cell boards to monitor each battery in the series.
- Connect the main BMS controller to the first battery in the series, using appropriate wiring and connectors. The main controller typically has a positive and negative connection, as well as a connection for the balancing wires that connect to each cell board.
- Connect a BMS cell board to each battery in the series, using appropriate wiring and connectors. Each cell board typically has a positive and negative connection, as well as a balancing wire that connects to the main controller.
- Insulate the connections using heat shrink tubing or electrical tape, to prevent short circuits or accidental disconnections.
- Configure the BMS settings to match your battery type, voltage, and capacity ratings, and set the appropriate charging and discharging parameters.
- Monitor the BMS closely during charging and discharging, and follow appropriate safety precautions, especially when handling lithium-ion batteries.
It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations and specifications when connecting a BMS in series, to ensure that the system is operating safely and effectively. Find Your Best Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery Supplier.
12V 100Ah LiFePO4 Battery OEM• Cell Optionals: LiFePO4
• Cycle Life: 4,000 cycles (80%DOD @25°C)
• MOQ: 10
• Delivery: 20 Days
• OEM/ODM/Customizable: Yes
• Production/Port: Redway Battery, Guangdong China