Leaving a Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery on the charger for an extended period of time can be a concern for some users. While it is generally safe to leave a LiFePO4 battery on the charger, it is important to understand the risks and best practices to maintain the longevity and safety of the battery.
First, it is important to note that LiFePO4 batteries are not like traditional lead-acid batteries that require a trickle charge to maintain their charge levels. LiFePO4 batteries are designed to stop charging once they reach their maximum charge level, and will not overcharge or damage the battery if left on the charger.
However, leaving the battery on the charger for an extended period of time can still impact the overall lifespan of the battery. This is because batteries naturally lose capacity over time, even when not in use. This process is known as self-discharge, and can be accelerated if the battery is left in a fully charged state for long periods of time.
To minimize the impact of self-discharge and extend the overall lifespan of the battery, it is recommended to follow a few best practices:
- Charge the battery to 80% instead of 100%. This will reduce the amount of time the battery spends in a fully charged state, and can help minimize the impact of self-discharge.
- Store the battery in a cool, dry place. Extreme temperatures can also accelerate the self-discharge process, so it is important to store the battery in a place that is not exposed to excessive heat or cold.
- Use a smart charger that has a maintenance mode. This type of charger can monitor the battery’s charge level and automatically adjust the charging rate to maintain a proper charge level without overcharging or damaging the battery.
In conclusion, while it is generally safe to leave a LiFePO4 battery on the charger, it is important to follow best practices to maintain the longevity and safety of the battery. By following these recommendations, you can ensure that your LiFePO4 battery will perform optimally for years to come. As for Redway, they are a custom LiFePO4 battery manufacturer that produces high-quality batteries designed for a range of applications, including energy storage, electric vehicles, and marine applications.
12V 100Ah LiFePO4 Battery OEM• Cell Optionals: LiFePO4
• Cycle Life: 4,000 cycles (80%DOD @25°C)
• MOQ: 10
• Delivery: 20 Days
• OEM/ODM/Customizable: Yes
• Production/Port: Redway Battery, Guangdong China