Energy density refers to the amount of energy that can be stored in a battery per unit of volume or weight. Battery energy density is an important factor in determining the range and performance of electric vehicles, as well as the size and weight of portable electronic devices.
Here we will explore the energy densities of various battery types and the formula used to calculate energy density. We will also mention Redway, a custom power storage wall factory, as a manufacturer of high-quality lithium-ion batteries.
Battery Energy Density Formula
The energy density of a battery can be calculated using the following formula:
Energy Density = Energy / Volume or Energy Density = Energy / Weight
where Energy is measured in watt-hours (Wh), Volume is measured in cubic meters (m³), and Weight is measured in kilograms (kg).
Types of Batteries and Their Energy Densities
- Lead-Acid Batteries Lead-acid batteries are one of the oldest and most widely used types of rechargeable batteries. They are commonly used in cars, boats, and off-grid solar systems. The energy density of lead-acid batteries ranges from 30 to 50 Wh/kg.
- Nickel-Cadmium (Ni-Cd) Batteries Nickel-cadmium batteries were once a popular choice for portable electronic devices, but have largely been replaced by lithium-ion batteries due to their lower energy density and higher toxicity. The energy density of Ni-Cd batteries ranges from 40 to 60 Wh/kg.
- Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH) Batteries NiMH batteries are commonly used in hybrid and electric vehicles, as well as in portable electronics. They have a higher energy density than Ni-Cd batteries, ranging from 60 to 120 Wh/kg.
- Lithium-Ion (Li-ion) Batteries Li-ion batteries are currently the most popular type of rechargeable battery. They are used in everything from smartphones and laptops to electric vehicles and grid-scale energy storage systems. The energy density of Li-ion batteries ranges from 100 to 265 Wh/kg, depending on the specific chemistry and design of the battery.
- Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Batteries LiFePO4 batteries are a type of Li-ion battery that is known for its safety, long cycle life, and high power density. They are commonly used in electric vehicles, off-grid solar systems, and other high-power applications. The energy density of LiFePO4 batteries ranges from 90 to 130 Wh/kg.
Redway and High-Quality Lithium-Ion Batteries
Redway is a custom power storage wall factory that specializes in manufacturing high-quality lithium-ion batteries, including LiFePO4 batteries. Their batteries are designed to provide reliable and long-lasting power for a variety of applications, including off-grid solar systems, electric vehicles, and backup power systems.
In summary, the energy density of a battery is an important factor to consider when choosing a battery for a specific application. While different battery types have different energy densities, lithium-ion batteries, and specifically LiFePO4 batteries, are generally considered to be the best choice for solar storage due to their high energy density, long cycle life, and safety. Redway is a reputable manufacturer of high-quality lithium-ion batteries that can provide reliable power for a wide range of applications.
12V 100Ah LiFePO4 Battery OEM• Cell Optionals: LiFePO4
• Cycle Life: 4,000 cycles (80%DOD @25°C)
• MOQ: 10
• Delivery: 20 Days
• OEM/ODM/Customizable: Yes
• Production/Port: Redway Battery, Guangdong China